Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's One of Those Days...

...and it's not even 11 AM yet.

I leave for Chicago at 2:15 today for the Vermont Oxford Conference. I got up and got my packing done, then headed to Tipmasters in Jeaux's car, since I don't want to leave the good car in long term parking. I came out after the meeting and the car wouldn't start. David Olinde had jumper cables, but even after a dozen tries we couldn't get it started. Kyle Jeansonne actually got under my hood. He stayed there about 45 minutes and finally found some corroded battery wires. He cleaned them off and I was back in business, at least enough to get home. And my friend Pam Bordelon followed me home to make sure I made it back safely.

Now the problem is how to get to the airport. Jeaux is stuck on the unit and can't get off until someone is there to relieve him. Jay is still house-bound from her double-ankle mishap at the beginning of February. Barbara is working, all my family now lives in Alabama or Tennessee, Lauryn is stuck at home waiting for the Tivo Installer man to show up (he's already 30 minutes late) and I can't reach any of the other people travelling with me. The car would probably make it, but we're not sure, and we'd be even less sure that it would start again Sunday night when my flight lands. So both the car and I would be stuck until Jeaux could come get us. It would mean a AAA tow to get the car back home, and it would mean paying someone to do some work that Jeaux could probably do this weekend if the car was at home.

Oh, well. At least I had the car. If Jeaux had taken it today, it would have stranded him close to dark, downtown, and Elizabeth here by herself, and he'd have had more trouble getting a ride than I would have.

No comments: