Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Kerygma Bible Study

I started a new Bible study tonight ... the series is called Kerygma, and we're starting with the Gospel of Mark. I haven't done a Bible Study in a long time. I won't say how long it's been, but I think last time was for credit for my degree.

Which I got in 1981.

Anyway, it's almost like starting over. I remember the high points, but it's been a loooooooong time.

1. A Really Cool Thing

The class is being led by the woman who actually wrote the study, Dr. Carol Miller. How cool is that? She's retired now, and she and her husband Rick, both UMC ministers, decided to land here. (I'm not sure I understand why, because I'd actually like to land somewhere where, 7 months out of the year, daytime highs in the 90's are not considered a cool spell.) I admire her ability to express strong opinions without them becoming personal. That's not a skill I ever managed to develop, so I'm impressed when I see it in other people.

2. A Somewhat Anxiety-Producing Thing

If you drew a line and labeled one end "Fundamentalist" you could pretty much draw a picture of me hanging off the other end of the line, listing to starboard. I believe strongly in everyone's right to meet God wherever they are, and in God's ability to be there, no matter what. But fundamentalists scare me. I always fear that they're waiting for me to say something that they can pounce on and use to announce to the world that I'm doomed to spend eternity in Hell. And living in Louisiana, wedged between the Baptists and the Catholics, being theologically liberal is asking for trouble. Rather than run that risk, I usually just keep my mouth shut, and avoid situations where it might come up (which explains why I haven't done a Bible Study since I left college). I'm still not sure I'll be able to take the risk of speaking out. Even if I don't, it'll be interesting to watch Carol do it. Maybe I'll learn from her.

No comments: