Saturday, May 17, 2008

Emails and Baptism

It's scary having someone who's not like you who may end up as the President of the United States. I've received all the Obama emails, and I struggle with how to respond. Do I respond with righteous indignation? If anything justifies indignation, it's blatant racism. Do I respond with Active Listening? I could tune in to the feelings of the writer (or, more likely, the forwarder): fear, anxiety, their own anger. Do I respect my elders (and many of the forwarders are my elders) and allow them their opinion? For them to be my elders, they've got to be on up there, so what are the chances they'll change at this point? And how much influence can they really have?

Questing Parson posted a wonderful email addressing the subject. You can find it here.

Discovered while reading Alan R. Bevere's weekly roundup of the MethoBlogoSphere.

No comments: